Cause of Windows Update Error Code: 08×0040154
This Windows Update error code 08×0040154 has been occurring due to the following reasons.
- Due to firewall blocking.
- The previous installation was not done correctly.
- Due to 3rd party Antivirus applications.
- Due to a sudden computer shutdown throughout the Windows update process.
- Windows update installation not completed.
- Due to a sudden system shutdown during Windows Update and installation going on.
Note: This 08×0040154 error code is Applicable for the Windows 10.
Steps to Fix/Resolve Error Code 08×0040154
To fix this error code 08×0040154, please follow the below simple steps. These steps are for initial fixes. These fix steps will work for Windows 7/8/10/11.
Step 1: Full system scan with anti-malware.
Let’s follow the below steps to resolve this 08×0040154 error code for Windows Update.
- Go to the Windows setting.
- Go to the Privacy and security section.
- Go to the Windows security.
- Go to the Virus & threat protection.
- Select Scan options.
- Click scan now after selecting Microsoft Defender Offline scan.
- Your PC will restart now and deep scan will start. (Note: To continue, bookmark this post before restarting the computer.)
Steps 2: Run sfc /scannow to check if any corrupted files.
- Press Windows symbol + r.
- Enter cmd and press enter.
- paste this sfc /scannow and press enter.
- Wait till it is completed.
- You may also run the below commands to check everything is working fine.
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once completed then restart your system.
Steps 3: Run Windows Update troubleshooter
- Go to the Windows Settings
- Go to Update & security section.
- Click on Troubleshoot from the left menu.
- On the right of your screen, you should see troubleshooters listed (if not, click on Additional troubleshooters or Other troubleshooters).
- Select Windows Update and click on it to Run the troubleshooter.
Step 4: Reset Windows update components
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Now, please run the below commands:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Tap Win + E to open the File Explorer.
- Delete the contents of the following folders:
- Now, using the Command Prompt, execute the following commands:
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Restart your computer now.
Steps 5: Turn Off Antivirus Software
- Launch your system’s third party antivirus application.
- Go to their setting.
- Stop/pause Antivirus in your computer till you download or install windows update.
Steps 6: Turn Off Windows Firewall
- Go to the Windows defender firewall setting.
- Turn Off Windows Firewall.
- Start Windows Update and Installation.
- Restart your system.
- Turn on Windows Firewall.
In most cases, the above steps fix this Windows Update Error Code 08×0040154. In case if the issue still persists then you may follow the below steps.
Steps 7: Fix Registry Key
Note: In Order to perform the below steps you must require some good knowledge of troubleshooting.
- Go to Windows services.
- Go to Windows Update Services.
- Click on view regs key.
- Copy the regs key and save it.
- Now, please right-click on the registry key and click on repair.
Note: If it didn’t work then you can save your registry key and update.
Step 8: Reset your internet connection
- Open Command Prompt as admin again.
- Now, please run the below commands:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh winsock reset
- Reboot your PC now and install the Windows Update.
In this article, we read about the reason occur this 08×0040154 error code and the simple steps to resolve this Windows Update error. We hope the above steps fix your Windows Update error code 08×0040154. If not, you must contact a technical expert. If you want instant live support, then click on chat and get in touch with one of our experts.